With many of you a few days away from interviews, I thought I would repost a sample from our IncuBanker product covering the most important question you will face… walk me through your resume.
This will be the 1st question you will be asked in 95% of your interviews; below, we’ll show you how to tackle it. You’ll find this and 150+ other questions and video answers in the IncuBanker, our online interview prep course. Check it out!
- You answer should be around 2-3 minutes
- Analysts: start with where you grew up or went to high school
- Associates: start with where you grew up or went to undergrad
- From the start of your undergrad degree proceed chronologically through relevant experiences (academic, club, professional)
- For each experience try to:
- Give a brief overview of your role, achievements and an outcome (good feedback, promotion, published paper, etc.)
- Demonstrate skills relevant to investment banking
- Explain how this pushed you closer to pursuing a capital markets career
- Brevity is key here; don’t spend your entire 3 minutes discussion one job!
- At some point you need to identify your “spark”; the time when you decided that you knew you wanted to pursue a job in IB/S&T/Research/etc.
- Try to end by connecting the career path you just described to why you are interviewing for this job
Sample Answer Video